The mission of the Council for Working Women is to advance the interests of women engaged in business professions and service organizations. This Council will promote opportunities for women in the region and support activities which will enhance the capabilities of women, while acting in unity with the goals and philosophies of the Joliet Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
We’d like to introduce you to the Council for Working Women
The Council or Working Women is a division of the Joliet Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry. It was developed to establish a forum that will provide professional and business growth opportunities for women, enhance their capabilities, and benefit the organizations of businesses they represent.
Council for Working Women 2017 Scholarship information
Council for Working Women (CWW) of the Joliet Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry has scholarships available for 2017. The Council for Working Women established the scholarship fund to assist working or recently unemployed women who are training to: re-enter the workforce; increase skills for employment; or begin a new career. The scholarship money will help recipients further their post-secondary education at local vocational/trade schools, accredited colleges or universities.
The Scholarship Fund is supported by fundraising and contributions from members of the Council for Working Women. The application deadline is June 15, 2017. Scholarship recipients will be notified by July 30, 2017. Scholarship funds will be applied to the upcoming semester for the 2017-2018 academic year (classes must begin after July 1). Scholarship funds may be applied to tuition, books, or fees and will be mailed directly to your educational institution. Scholarships will range from $1,000-$2,000.
Please contact Kelly Baltas at the Joliet Chamber for more information at 815.727.5371.
Membership in CWW has many benefits:
- Participation in monthly CWW Meetings held the first Thursday of each month. Each meeting features a speaker who presents topics designed to reflect the business and professional interests of the members.
- You will have the opportunity to highlight your business via the 3-minute speaker drawing.
- Joining committees to support and enhance the CWW, including Membership, Program, Special Events, Communications/Newsletter, Scholarship, Nominations and Reality Store.
- Attending special networking and fundraising events that the Council offers:
– The CWW Scholarship Program promotes the continuing growth of working women within the community by awarding scholarships to be used to further the recipient’s education.
– The CWW hosts the annual ATHENA Award Luncheon, which recognizes an outstanding professional woman in the community through the international ATHENA Award Program.
- Provide business and social contacts in an organizational environment where members can meet other business and professional women and share skills, experience and resources
- Develop leadership skills through committee involvement
- Provide a forum by which working women can discuss problems and opportunities
provide a communication link between working women and the business community
- Recognize the achievements and promote the contributions of area working women
- Offer educational opportunities through special programs to encourage personal and professional growth. Monthly topics may include: Effective Networking Techniques, Successful Marketing Strategies, Conflict Management and other issues of interest to our membership.
The Council was developed for YOU.
We value YOUR participation. This is a unique opportunity for business and professional women to come together to share ideas, network, teach, support and learn from each other. Please join us!
MEMBERSHIP & MEETINGS
Membership is open to all who feel they would benefit from the activities of the Council for Working Women.
- $45 for members of the Joliet Region Chamber of Commerce
- $100 for non-Chamber members
Membership fees are billed annually in January. Those joining between Nov. 1 & Dec 31 will
be included in the January billing.
Meetings are held at 11:45 a.m. on the first Thursday of the month (with the exception of special events) A newsletter and flyers keep members informed of upcoming Council meetings and activities.
Reservations for meetings are required. Members may make their reservations by calling the Joliet Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry at 815-727-5371 Three days prior to the meeting.
A person may attend a Council meeting as a guest only once.
Persons who have registered for a meeting and do not attend and have not canceled by NOON the day before the meeting are responsible for the meeting fee.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Chair: Christy Lister, First National Bank of Ottawa
Vice Chair: Debbie Reed, NuMark Credit Union
Secretary: Katie Zaban, Joliet Park District
Treasurer: Amber Holecek, First Midwest Bank
Special Events Co-Chairs: Judy Tomasino, Divas Salon & Julia Adamic, Associated Orthodontists
Membership Co-Chairs: Lauren Las, Joliet City Center Partnership & Kathleen Guiterrez, Haunted Trails
Scholarship Co-Chairs: Debbie Dudek, American Family Insurance & Pat Locke, Abri Credit Union
Programs: Kathy Courtney, First Midwest Bank
Communications Chair: Jayme Shaw, Servpro
Past Chair/Historian: Amanda Quinn, Joliet Junior College